Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Are owners due restitution for monetary losses

I now have a copy of the judgement rendered by US District Court Judge Charles Simpson III in the Louisville Kennel Club, Inc ET AL. X Louisville/Jefferson County Metro Government. One of the most important parts of his ruling is the affirmation that dogs are personal property. As such, I am the OWNER of my dogs and not their guardian. And, as an OWNER, I am due restitution for any devaluation or "taking" of my property.

The question now becomes: Does mandatory spay/neuter constitute a devaluation of property? It does deprive the owner of puppies from that dog and from the income that could be derived from those puppies. While this could be an issue with mixed breed puppies, it becomes an even larger issue with purebred puppies that are often sold for hundreds of dollars each.

Does a government that enacts mandatory spay/neuter laws have to reimburse dog owners for their loss of potential stud fees and puppy sales? I urge owners living under such a rule to file a class action demanding just compensation for this mandate.

No comments:

Post a Comment